Getting Sciatica Pain Relief from Your Chiropractor
Sciatica is caused by irritation or impingement of the sciatic nerve. The result can be excruciating pain along with muscle weakness in the lower extremities. Finding relief for sciatica can be difficult, but thankfully help can be found at Lubbock Advanced Physical Medicine in Lubbock, TX. Here is a little knowledge about sciatica that can help you seek the right treatment.
What and Where Is the Sciatic Nerve?
The sciatic nerve exits your spine in your lower back. There it splits and travels down each of your legs. The pathway goes down each buttock, through a narrow passageway in the pelvis, and down the back of each leg. The sciatic nerve provides a dualistic service to the body, transmitting both motor and sensory signals.
Causes and Symptoms of Sciatica
As mentioned above, sciatica happens as a result of irritation or impingement of the sciatic nerve. This can have several causes:
- An injury impacting the sciatic nerve
- Muscle spasms
- A herniated disc, dislocated vertebra, or other spinal issues
- The pelvis being out of alignment
- A tumor growing on the lower backbone
Sciatica symptoms usually revolve around pain and muscle weakness on one side of your lower body:
- Constant lower back or hip pain
- Pain in the back of the leg
- Burning or shooting pain down the leg
- Tingling or numbness in the leg
- Weakness and pain when trying to stand
How Your Chiropractor Can Help with Sciatica
Your chiropractor can help you by getting to the root cause of your sciatica symptoms. Chiropractic pain management not only treats the symptoms of your pain, but also the cause of it, allowing you to actually heal from your condition.
- Your spinal column: Your chiropractor will check the alignment of your spine and look for any other problems you may have with it. A bulging or herniated disc may push against your sciatic nerve, causing pain. The same can be said about a dislocated vertebra. Your chiropractor will manually and gently move your disc or vertebra back into position. Then, he will treat the inflammation that would have been caused, thus relieving pressure being put against your sciatic nerve.
- Your pelvis: The small passageway in the pelvis that your sciatic passes through can become smaller if your pelvis is out of alignment or inflamed. This will push your sciatic nerve up against bone. Your chiropractor will check and adjust your pelvis if necessary and treat any inflammation that may be putting pressure on your sciatic nerve.
- Muscle spasms: Your chiropractor will make sure your spine and joints are aligned properly. Being out of alignment, they can put unordinary pressure on your muscles. Massage therapy, electrical stimulation, and ultra sound treatments will help your muscles to relax and increase blood flow. In addition to chiropractic treatments, your chiropractor will talk to you about your daily habits and work routine. He may offer suggestions that will help prevent future complications with your sciatic nerve. He will also give you some exercises to perform that will strengthen your back and help with any posture issues you may have.
Get Relief from Your Sciatica
Getting relief from the constant pain caused by sciatica is very possible. The trained and experienced staff at the Lubbock Advanced Physical Medicine in Lubbock, TX, will work to find and treat the cause of your pain. Give us a call at 806-791-3399 and set up a consultation.