What to Expect at Your First Chiropractor Appointment
Pain management is important when you are living with back and neck pain. Going to a local chiropractor in the Lubbock area is the first step to finding relief from your symptoms. But what happens during that initial appointment and what should you be expecting during that first visit? Here at Lubbock Advanced Physical Medicine, we focus on three key elements during the first meeting with our team:
Patient History and Symptoms
When you first meet with our team to learn about how chiropractor services and care can help you, we will begin by asking you questions about specific symptoms and any other health or medical conditions that need to be taken into consideration. Accident injuries, medical-related pain, and other factors can all affect how treatment plans are developed so it is important to have a good understanding of the history of the patient before treatments are started. Common questions you can expect to be asked can include the following:
- When and how did the pain start?
- Where is the pain located and does it move around?
- Can you describe the pain and how it makes you feel?
- Does it come and go, or is it continual?
- Did the pain begin after an accident or injury?
- What movements or activities make it better or worse?
- How has the pain affected you up to this point?
- What have you done so far to try and combat the pain?
The Chiropractic Exam
Once you get seen by a chiropractor on our chiropractic team, they will begin the exam to see what specific issues you are dealing with and to begin the process of diagnosis. This will often involve more discussion as well as physical testing and examination which will check for vital indicators like:
- Range of motion within the affected area
- Tolerance of pain
- Muscle strength and tone in the area
- Stability and balance of the body as a whole
- Posture while sitting, standing, bending
- Other checks as needed to form a diagnosis
Based on the results of the patient's history and chiropractic exam, additional testing may be needed to cement a diagnosis and ensure proper treatments are followed. Follow-up appointments to begin treatments will also be scheduled. If you need chiropractic care and need a chiropractor in the area, call today at (806) 791-3399 for a consultation appointment Lubbock team today.